10 Keys to Building Great Teams
Shawnee Love •
November 29, 2010
Like many Canadians, I spent yesterday afternoon ensconced on my couch with snacks and bevvies watching the Grey Cup. Watching team sports always gets me thinking about my experiences working and playing in great teams.
In honour of great teams, I want to share with you my must haves for a great team (in no particular order because IMHO all are necessary):
- Vision– A common goal that team members want to achieve.
- Shared Values– How they will work together and achieve the goal.
- Complementary Skills– Each person brings something the team needs.
- Respect– For what each member brings to the team (a value, but important enough to highlight).
- Enjoyment– Team members like being a part of the team.
- Role Clarity– Members know what to do & they choose how.
- Practice– Builds endurance, character, relationships, & skills, and works the kinks out of the systems, strategies, & tactics.
- Communication– Recognize improvements & successes and resolve mistakes & disagreements.
- “Team First” attitude.
What do you think it takes to build a great team?